|Name Kanji||桐敷 沙子|
|Anime Debut||Episode 3|
|Voice Actor||Cherami Leigh|
- "I think death is equally terrible for everyone. Young people, old people, the good, the bad; it's always the same. It's rather fair in its treatment. There's no such thing as a particularly terrible death, that's why it's frightening. Your behaviour and age, your personality, your wealth, beauty, your personal beliefs; all the things that add up to make us who we are, they only matter while we're alive. Death makes every last one of them null and void. So any death is terrible."
- ―Sunako Kirishiki
Sunako Kirishiki is one of the shiki, meaning "corpse demon". She is one of the main characters.
Sunako is a mysterious young girl who seems to be quite childlike and playful when first introduced. She enjoys reading books as she read many of them when she was confined by her family and mentions how she enjoyed reading Seishin's books. She, however, displays knowledge that a child her age shouldn't have and exhibits some levels of religious affliation, especially about the topic of death, something which warned Seishin of her true nature.
In truth, she is the leader of the Shikis, and as the leader, she is more mature and understanding, as she was a mother-figure to Chizuru since she is actually more mature than the latter. And she told Tooru her story when he was suffering from guilt over killing Natsuno.
Despite everything she had done, she is one of the Shikis who does not kill out of malice but survivial and honestly wanted to created a safe place for the Shikis, so that they would no longer need to hide and could be accepted. She also cares for her fellow Shikis, her adopted family and Seishin as she shows a level of concern for them. For example, she mourned Chizuru's death and was worried about Seishirou when he didn't come back and feared that if she fell asleep, it would be the last time she would see Tatsumi and Seishin.
Sunako has the appearance of a young girl with dark purple hair, pale skin and hollow black eyes with a tint of red. She mostly wears different kinds of Lolita fashion with accesories. When she was first introduced, she wore a lavender dress with black laces and red Mary-Jane like shoes. When she was alive, her eyes were brown.
A 13 year old girl who moves into the Kanemasa mansion atop the hill with her family. She hides the fact that she is a Shiki by telling others that she has a rare genetic disorder known as SLE, which leads her to stay inside her home during the day and only come out at night. She and her family are fans of the essays and novels written by Seishin Muroi, and is the reason they moved to Sotoba. Sunako dislikes people calling her name with the honorific "chan" ("Miss" in the english dub).
Sunako was originally a beloved daughter of a well-off family.
She was bitten by a vampire Western noble, who was a guest of her family, and died.
When she revived as a Shiki, her family kept her confined and sent her servants to feed upon. After some time, she finally escaped her "refuge" and, after discovering her family had moved, went on a journey to find them. For many years she searched to no avail. As time passed, and decades went by, Sunako realized that, by now, all of her family must have passed- even her little sister must have died. She lives many years alone but slowly creates and adopts a family and that must keep moving on or be hunted. Thus, when she finds Muroi Seishin's essays describing a village secluded and surrounded by death, she becomes a fan and decides to make that her base- Sotoba. She plans to convert the picturesque town into a Shiki village, so that her family can live in relative safety, away from fear.
She later bites Muroi Seishin. When Tatsumi informs her of Chizuru's death and the villagers' plot to eradicate the Shiki, she orders him to start an all-out war.
- Sunako's clothes are inspired by the Japanese Lolita Fashion. Many Lolita fashion brands have had collab works with Shiki to recreate Sunako's dresses.
- Sunako admits that she feels forsaken by God.
- Sunako enjoys reading books.
- Since Sunako looks small and cute to others, usually people call her 'Miss' (or -chan in the Japanese dub), which she hates.
- She was able to enter the abandoned church because it "did't feel like one" and therefore she was't afraid of it.